About MGSM Student Services
MGSM student services is responsible for supporting current students at MGSM. This includes supporting students through enrolment, unit selection, career guidance, internships and much more.
The quality of student support is critical to MGSM and in 2016, MGSM was once again ranked the number one School in Australia by the Financial Times world MBA ranking.
- make the unit directory tool more user-friendly for the MGSM students,
- decrease support requests from students,
- streamline the process of updating the unit directory.
The unit directory tool that students used regularly, was built inside a legacy database that was outdated, unsupported and could only be updated by one person via a spreadsheet.
Student found the tool confusing to use and only took advantage of the most basic features of the tool.
Discovery and briefing phase
We met with the managers of the student services area of MGSM and we:
- listened to the challenges and pain points of the current tool
- reviewed and documented the content updating process.
Building the tool
We gathered statistics and interviewed students to establish the most common reasons for using the online directory. Based on this, we designed the new tool so that it would be intuitive to use for the students.
We then built the new tool within the existing CMS which consolidated the unit information into one central place.
When building the new online directory, we ensured that it would be easy and quick to update for the MGSM staff.
- When looking at independent statistics (Google Analytics), we saw a marked improvement in all the key metrics:
- a 122% increase in usage of the tool
- 15% increase in page views
- 78% decrease in bounce rate
- When comparing heatmaps from the old interface with the new interface, it showed a 400% increase in usage of the features.
- The unit directory can now be updated by anyone in the organisation that's had training on Squiz CMS.
- Self-service has increased which has drastically decreased the volume of support questions from students.